Switching all your personal care products to organic skin care can be a daunting process. For a little help we’ve listed our top five hit list for updating your beauty kit to contain the best organic and natural beauty products.
- Lose the Lipstick – Even Cutex knew you shouldn’t eat your lipstick back in the 60′s! You’re eating it everyday so there is no better place to start your update. Consider the amount of mineral oil and synthetic colour there is in each tube, how often you reapply and how much you have eaten over your lifetime. Switch to an organic lipstick from brands such as Inika Cosmetics, Nvey Eco or rms beauty. These contain plant oils and mineral colour.
- Switch Scents – most people use perfume once a day, others much more often. Switching to an organic perfume from a brand such as Strange Invisible Perfumes, Jo Wood, or Tsi La is a great way to avoid spraying fixatives and synthetic fragrance on yourself every day. Organic perfumes use a mixture of essential oils to create base notes that last and should be made from organic alcohol as a base ideally.
- Get Sun Shade - switch your synthetic sunscreen for a natural one. Using titanium dioxide and zinc oxide the natural sunscreens reflect rays away from the skin rather than creating a reaction on the skin to protect it. Minerals form a barrier to protect. The trick is in the application – make sure it is regular and that you are using a generous amount for maximum protection – rub well to avoid a white residue on the skin. For face we love the John Masters Spf 30 and the Oy! Face the Sun Spf 15. For body try the spray on mineral sunscreens from Lavera.
- Deodorant – keep it fresh with organic alcohol, essential oils and mineral salts. Leave the parabens, fragrance and aluminium in the bottle and make sure what you are using comes from a reputable organic skincare brand such as Weleda, Lavera or Green People. These brands all have great natural deodorants that work well.
- Body Lotion – often used once or twice a day this is the product that covers the majority of your skin. Ditch the synthetic versions and go for an organic skin care product instead. This will cancel out the use of the synthetic ingredients over the majority of your skin in one swoop. For dry skin we love the Pai Comfrey and Calendula Organic Body Cream and the Barefoot Botanicals SOS Daily Rich Body Lotion. For a lighter lotion go for the wonderful Weleda Sea Buckthorn Body Lotion or Evolve Mega Omega Body Lotion.
Get started with these 5 tips over the next few months and replace a product at a time with an organic skin care version. If you need to prioritise products we recommend leaving the wash off products to last – they are only in contact with the skin for a short time so less of a priority to begin with – although we recommend definitely switching them out once you can.